Bob Dylan, Queen Jane Approximately
- I used to pride myself on the fact that my favorite Dylan albums weren’t from the Bringing It All Back Home-->Highway 61 Revisited-->Blonde On Blonde trilogy. I liked the obscure stuff best: the Desire
, the Street Legal
, the Shot of Love
, and the Oh, Mercy!
However, I’ve recently discovered that in fact my favorite Dylan albums are Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home (with Blonde On Blonde a very close third), which makes me like pretty much every other schmuck in the world. On the other hand, damn
but those albums are good.
Ray Charles, Let the Good Times Roll
- My wife, my 3-year-old daughter and I recently drove to Cleveland together for a family wedding. At one point as we were cruising up the highway in the darkness and relative silence, a small voice chimed in from the back car seat: “dad, play some Ray Charles.” I believe this officially makes me A Good Father.
Black Sabbath, Electric Funeral
- As a former drug abuser and high school drop-out, I am morally obligated to have at least one Ozzy-era Black Sabbath album at all times.
Mos Def, Modern Marvel
- Like every other white boy in the world, I’m a fan of Mos Def.
Crescent City Gold, Slick Is
- A collaboration of Dr. John and Allen Toussaint with several other outstanding New Orleans musicians. Makes me a little sad to hear this now.
Brendan Benson, I’m Blessed
- Jeff turned me on to this singer-songwriter. I heartily recommend this album, “One Mississippi.”
Ted Hawkins, No Other Love For Me
- If you’ve never read about the life of Ted Hawkins, do it now
. Then sit in the dark and listen to him sing while you try not to cry.
The Meters, Chicken Strut
- No lyrics in this gem other than the refrain “keep on struttin’” and one of the Neville Brothers making chicken noises. It doesn’t get much funkier.
matt pond PA, It Is Safe
- I just started listening to this band within the last week or so. I haven’t really formed a strong opinion yet, but I think I like them.
The Olivia Tremor Control, I Won This Dog at the Driftwood Reunion Carnival
- Another band I just started listening to on Jeff’s recommendation. Good stuff.A confession: This is actually the second stab I took at a Friday Random 10 today. The first one I deleted because it just sucked. It wasn’t even embarrassing (embarrassing I would have posted), it was just boring as hell. This one is much better and I thank Jeff for encouraging me to try again.