Until you've enrolled a toddler in pre-school, you've never really appreciated the destructive force of the peanut. My 3-year-old's pre-school loudly proclaims itself to be a Peanut Free Zone, and we parents were told in no uncertain terms at orientation that not only were we prohibited from sending any peanut product to school with our children, but we were also prohibited from sending any snack product that did not contain peanuts if it was manufactured at a facility that also manufactured other snacks that did include the peanut, or peanut oil, or other peanut residue
. This is some serious shit. Apparently peanut butter is the toddler equivalent of sarin gas.
I must admit that I failed to take this threat completely seriously when it was first introduced to me, and, to my eternal shame, I even contemplated wearing a Mr. Peanut costume to our pre-school's Halloween Parade, just to see if the mere sight of a giant nut would be sufficient to knock one of Cleo's classmates (or, more likely, one of their parents) out cold. However, today tragedy struck
, and I'm damn sure not laughing now:
A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.
The symptoms of peanut allergy can include hives, plunging blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat, which can block breathing.
DON'T SAY YOU HAVEN'T BEEN WARNED.